Thu, 15 Apr 2021

Iga Swiatek latest to pull out of Qatar Open

Field Level Media
28 Feb 2021, 04:19 GMT+10

French Open champion Iga Swiatek withdrew from the Qatar Open, the latest woman to pull out of the tournament.

The 19-year-old from Poland said the decision not to play was made "because of some intense weeks" in Australia, where she played in the Australian Open, plus a warm-up tournament in Melbourne, before beating Belinda Bencic of Switzerland 6-2 6-2 in the Adelaide International final on Saturday.

"I don't want to have injury or anything. I want my body to rest properly," she said.

The tournament is scheduled to begin Monday.

Earlier this week, world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty withdrew, citing a thigh injury, as did world No. 3 Simona Halep of Romania.

Previously, No. 4 Sofia Kenin of the United States and No. 9 Bianca Andreescu of Canada withdrew from the event. Kenin, 22, said she underwent surgery to have her appendix removed on Feb. 15 and hasn't announced a timetable for her return.

The 20-year-old Andreescu, who pulled out of the Adelaide event with a leg injury, also will miss the following week's tournament in Dubai. She is targeting to return for the Miami Open, slated to begin March 23.

World No. 2 Naomi Osaka of Japan, who won the Australian Open last week, did not enter the tournament.

In Doha, where the Qatar Open will be played, Elina Svitolina of Ukraine is the top seed, followed by Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic, Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus, Czech Petra Kvitova and Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands.

--Field Level Media

Sign up for Paris News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!