Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon but plans to represent Japan in the Tokyo Olympics next month.
"She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans," her team said in a statement issued Thursday afternoon.
The news broke just hours after All England Club chief executive Sally Bolton said Wimbledon officials were discussing the tournament's media operations with Osaka, a four-time Grand Slam champion.
Wimbledon is set to begin June 28.
Osaka, the No. 2-ranked player in the WTA, bowed out of the French Open before the second round two weeks ago and directly cited challenging media sessions as the reason she wouldn't play. The 23-year-old was fined for her decision to skip mandatory post-match news conferences at the tournament.
Osaka said she deals with anxiety and depression and has struggled to address it since 2018.
She previously withdrew from next week's event in Berlin.
Osaka has won the Australian Open and the U.S. Open two times each. She never has advanced past the third round at Wimbledon.
--Field Level Media